ROUNDUP: Russia expects talks on security guarantees in January
The Russian flag. pixabay.com
MOSCOW (dpa-AFX) – Russia expects talks on its proposals for binding security guarantees in January. A first round with US negotiators had been agreed for the beginning of the year, Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov told state broadcaster RT (formerly Russia Today) on Wednesday. Talks with NATO and the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) are also planned. According to the Interfax agency, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said there was still no specific time frame for the talks. “The main thing is that there won’t be a negotiation marathon,” said Peskow.
Russia presented a draft agreement for an agreement to NATO, the US and their allies last Friday. Moscow calls for an end to NATO’s eastward expansion, which it sees itself threatened by. In addition, Russia wants to ensure that NATO does not accept Ukraine as a member.
The White House then announced that it would not compromise the basic principles on which European security was based. This also applies to the fact that all countries have the right to determine their own future and foreign policy without outside interference. A senior US government official said some things in the Russians’ draft were “unacceptable,” and Moscow knew it too. You also want to raise your own concerns and concerns.
It was only on Tuesday that President Vladimir Putin spoke on the phone with Chancellor Olaf Scholz (SPD). The background to this is new tensions in the Ukraine conflict, which has been going on for years.
Reports of alleged Russian preparations for an invasion of Ukraine have been causing international concern for weeks. Russia has repeatedly denied such allegations. The European Union and NATO had threatened Moscow with severe consequences in the event of a military escalation.
In addition, NATO has already taken measures to be better prepared for possible threats against eastern allies. For example, NATO Commander-in-Chief Tod D. Wolters recently reduced the so-called “Notice-to-Move” period for the VJTF rapid reaction force. This means that the soldiers currently have to be ready for a transfer to a crisis area within five days. Previously the deadline had been seven days.
Federal Defense Minister Christine Lambrecht had already confirmed the move on Sunday during a troop visit to Lithuania as part of the deterrent. The readiness of the rapid reaction force has been increased, she said. This is an important signal that action is taken when action is required./cht/DP/nas
More news about HAVN LIFE SCIENCES INC. Subscribe to the share for free
ARIVA.DE publishes analyzes, columns and news from various sources in this section. ARIVA.DE AG is not responsible for content that has been recognized by third parties in the “News” area of this website and does not adopt it as its own. This content can be identified in particular by a corresponding “from” mark below the article heading and / or by the link “To read the full article, please click here.”; The named third party is solely responsible for this content.
Other users were also interested in this article: